The model is finished and placed on a simple desert base.
Below is the build diary for the SandStalker.
I started with the hardest part, soldering the turret grenade screen. I used cork board and a lot of pins to hold pieces in place while I soldered the parts.
The kit have separate molded hatches for the cockpit and engine area but does not include any interior. I decided this was a good opportunity enjoy some scratch building. The areas under the engine hatches needed to be opened so I busted out the Dremel and an assortment of bits. The holes were cleaned up with files and sanding sticks.
The engine was scratch built from bits and pieces from the spares box detailed with bolts, bits of wire, and some model RR parts.
A nice coat of paint...
A nice coat of weathering...
Meanwhile, I started assembly of the main armament and pedestal assembly. This is very detailed and almost a mini kit.
The hull received a coat of Gunze Surfacing Red Primer. Nice tough stuff and will be a good base for chipped paint effects.
After much ass-dragging, I caved in and built a driving compartment. So easily visible through the small hatch.
Major assembly is complete and everything got a good coat of primer.
And then some dark brown was applied for future chipping. Some of which can be seen on the pedestal assembly.
And finally the first coat of paint. Base color is Tamiya NATO Green mixed with Cockpit Green to lighten things up. Tools and gear have been painted seperatly and are just held on with gravity.
Markings are a mix and match of decals from the spares. The large K and boomerang were airbrushed through hand cut frisket stencils. Details on the boomerang were hand painted.
The hair spray technique was used to create the worn desert tan scheme.
Weathering so far has been a combination of filters, enamels, and oil paints. There is still a bit to do.