GMC 6x6 CCKW 353

My exploration of 1/35 scale military models has been varied so far with no real focus. I'm either choosing kits I've had in the stack as donor kits or just something I've found interesting and picked up for a deal. This is the later example. I traded a kit I wasn't ever going to build to a buddy that had this kit he was never going to build. The GMC 6x6 isn't the most glamorous vehicle but it is something different to experiment on.

Here are the final images

 

The following is the build diary for the CCKW

 


 

The base kit is the Tamiya GMC 6x6 CCKW 353. A nice little kit right out of the box. Tamiya sells two accessories sets for the 6x6 but I opted for the Verlinden resin and PE detail set. Most of the Verlinden set focuses on the engine compartment and the 50 cal. MG mount. I opted for a closed hood and unarmed version and used the few little PE bits to dress up the tie-down hooks and windscreen.

 

 

I haven't done a very good job of documenting the painting process. Over the gray primer I airbrushed Tamiya Nato Black on all the underside areas and upper surface nooks and recesses. Over this I airbrushed a custom mix of Tamiya OD with a little Dark Yellow and Deck Tan. I kept adding Dark Yellow and Deck Tan to lighten the OD as i worked up the sides. When this had dried, I applied Archer Fine Transfers for the markings and interior placards and instruments. This was followed by a couple of Clear and Satin coats which sealed the markings and paint for weathering.

Weathering started with a couple of dark washes and filters. The dirt on the underside was created by first damping the surface with Turpenoid thinner. I then applied random dabs of AK Engine Grime, Dust Effects, and MIG Pigments. This was moved around and blended and allowed to dry. Over this base I applied more MIG pigments but this time dry by loading a brush with powder and then tapping the brush onto the surface. I flowed MIG Pigment Fixer onto the powder without disturbing it. This was allowed to dry. OI then mixed up dry pigment with thinner and flicked and flowed this into any areas that had not already been covered. Over all of this I started applying washes to the dirt for more variety.

The OD was a little boring so I added some variety to the surfaces by working in a form of zenithal lighting effects with oil paints. I mixed up a custom OD and lightened this with Yellow Ocher and/or White as needed. For the shadows I used 501 Abt Shadow Brown and/or black as needed. I applied little dabs of oil paint and blended this into the surrounding area. I found it better to work from the corners out to the edges so the lighter color laid over the darker oil paint.

 

 

Somehow building a model of a truck has evolved into aircraft modeling too. For the cargo I chose a Bronco Models  V-1 Fieseler FI 103 RE -3. What is it? It's a WWII German flying bomb trainer. Have you heard of the V-1 rocket that Germany used to bomb London? The things were so inaccurate and Germany was so desperate they experimented with a piloted version for more accurate results. The pilot was suppose to bail out at the last minute. Well, you have to train for this mission so they made a trainer version. Fortunately for all involved, it didn't get very far before the project was canceled.

The cockpit on the real thing was pretty bare bones but Bronco didn't even provide you that much. You get a floor, seat, stick, and instrument panel. Using what photos  I could find online - quite a few actually - I added some of the missing bits and downgraded the seat from a nice padded leather seat included in the kit to one that looks like it was fabricated from plywood. It doesn't look like much right now but pretty soon it won't look like much with a coat of primer.

 

 

The Fieseler was assembled and some of the missing details added. The wooden frame is made from styrene but looks a little small for the task. The figures are from Verlinden set for the Tamiya 6x6 with a head swap and new arm sculpts for the passenger.

 

 

The truck has gotten a little dirty. I'm about finished with the pigment and mud work on the 6x6. Most of the topside dirt is MIG pigments with some AK enamels flicked about. I still need to add the missing fuel cans and straps. The Flieseler has been painted with Tamiya acrylics and weathering with oil paints. It needs a little dust to replicate a unit that had been sitting around for a little while. The scene envisioned is the V1 was found abandoned at a forward light launch site. These were most of the time basic set ups with a launch rail and a shed tucked away into clearings in forests or fields.

 

 

I've painted the two crew figures for the cab. They haven't been seated properly yet so the one leans a little too much. The V1 has been chained in and I'm working on a couple of extra stowage items. A notes about the last little photo of the strap for the gas can... This is why I have started working on a Neuspotter. The strap is made of 5 pieces, three strips of foil and two tiny bits of PE. It's some of the smallest bits I have worked with to date. About half way through the second one I just had to stop and start on something a little easier. And after all that struggling, they still aren't very accurate, the sides of the upper buckle should be folded up and there needs to be a small pin across that secures the strap. Screw that!