SAFSR Rapoon - Decals and Finishing

Article Index
SAFSR Rapoon
Decals and Finishing
All Pages

 

Decals and Gear

To seal up the paint and get things ready for weathering, I used Tamiya Color Spray Satin Gloss. I thought this was a straight lacquer paint, but it isn't apparently. I let it dry for a few hours and then applied MIG Productions filters to help tie the colors together. Either I didn't wait long enough, the MIG thinner is stronger than I thought, or the spray lacquer isn't a lacquer like Gunze Mr Hobby spray lacquer. I don't know, but the surface got weird, so I set it aside for about a week to let it set. I applied another coat of the Tamiya, let it dry for a few days and then applied the decals.

The next day I was fortunate to have decent enough weather for airbrushing (I didn't need winter gloves in the garage), but I would not have called it ideal conditions. I sealed the decals with a couple of coats of Polly Scale Satin. This an acrylic paint has one of the best set of clears. Their Matte, Satin, and Gloss are some of the best I have ever used.

When the top coat had dried sufficiently, I mixed up a thin batch of Tamiya acrylic Red Brown and accented the edges and shadow areas on the Rapoon. I followed this with very thin Matt Black aibrushed as a post shade around details. After this, I airbrushed a very thin mixture of Buff mixed with water and airbrushed this to represent the first layer of dust and set the stage for further weathering.

The wrecked Neuspotter varient was fist airbrused with Tamiya German Gray and Red Brown. Over this base I hand brushed Vallejo Acrylic to add some tonal variations.

The gear has been hand painted with Vallejo Acrylics. While shading and Highlighting the bed roll hanging on the tail, I discovered the wonders of Vallejo Acrylic Glaze Medium. Too bad this was my last piece, but the results were amazing. The glaze reduces the opacity of the paint and makes blending much easier.

 

 

Weathering and Groundwork

The chipped paint effect was hand painted in with a 5/0 pointed brush and Vallejo Acrylics. I added a little Vallejo Slow Dry to the paint so it wouldn't dry on the bristles so quickly. All weathering is done with oil paints or MIG Productions Washes and Filters. Dust on the tarp and gear was created with oil paints dried out on a piece of cardboard. The crumbly oil paints were jabbed on with an old brush and blended in with thinner

The groundwork was created as part of a demo at a local model event. My usual mixture of Acrylic Gel, MIG Pigments, sand, fine dirt, and root litter was mixed together and applied over a base of pink foam and two chunks of tree bark. The tree bark has been painted with acrylics and weathered with oils and pigments. The stubs of grass are a synthetic product from Germany glued with acrylic gel. I used dry pigments to add some variety to the groundwork. The divot in front is for the wrecked Neuspotter stalk and ball. These need a little more weathering before being glued to the scene.

Last step will be pigments and final oil stains.