HAFS Goblin - Chapter 3 - Goblin Build Diary

Article Index
HAFS Goblin
Chapter 1 - Goblin Build Diary
Chapter 2 - Goblin Build Diary
Chapter 3 - Goblin Build Diary
All Pages

Display Base

The frame for the base is 1/2inch  MDF cut on the table saw, primed with automotive primer and sprayed with Krylon Ultra Flat Black with a top coat of Krylon Clear. A thin slab of pink insulation foam has been used to build up the groundwork.

 

The figure has most of the base colors applied. All colors are Vallejo. The jacket is painted like a US WWII Tankers jacket. I mixed Vallejo US Tanker Base and Highlight 50/50 for the base khaki like color.  Items like the cap, boots, and gloves have been painted with highlights and shadows. The camo pants were inspired by a German WWII camo pattern. The base color is Olive Green with Dark Yellow and Flat Brown splotches.

The miscellaneous items around the scene are various bits from the spares box used as place holders to help rough out the scene.

Tools and Equipment

I'm working on the gear for the vignette. I found some dims for a 55gal drum on Wiki and fashioned a 1/20 fuel drum from .005" Pewter foil and styrene with some Wave bits. The ammo crates are from basswood and the draped tarp is again .005" pewter foil, a little stiff but it "sculpted" easily.

I improved the tool box with the Hasegawa figure set with a new handle from solder and brass hinges. The copper chain and brass bolts had a good soak in Blacken It and were then rusted with pigments. The torch is painted medium gray and buffed with graphite and SNJ powdered Alum and given a wash.

The detailing on the crates was as follows:

Sprayed a good coat of Gunze Matte Lacqure to seal the surface
Clean off any fuzz with a tooth brush
Applied filters and washes with oil paints to accent individual boards
Lightly sanded with 600 grit to remove any last fuzz and wear down some of the finish

 

Ground Work

I spent Sunday afternoon with the model crew and applied the ground work for the Goblin. The mixture is Textured Acrylic Gel Medium mixed with sand, sifted dirt, MIG Pigments and eleven herbs and spices. The textured gel dried with a slight sheen which normally is not desirable but will work, with some dry patches, considering the sloggy ground I am planning for the scene. The ammo crates and fuel drum have been pressed into the groundwork so they don’t float. I sprinkled some dry pigments and sand around the scene but decided to hold off anything further until the gel dried and I have a better understanding of the color of the ground work.

The figure is mostly complete, except I had to repaint the face so I popped it off and a quick bath in rubbing alcohol took the old acrylic right off. The head is still in progress. The missing head was bothering me a little so I added a place holder for the time being.

 

 

Mud

The mud is a mix of Acrylic Gel, MIG Pigments, sand, fine dirt, and drywall mud. The stuff is mixed to a dry crumbly paste and applied with an old brush and small putty tool. There are two different mixtures shown. The first application was a darker mix with more MIG Dark Mud and over that was applied a mix that had more Dried Mud. The mud splats are European Dust and Dried Mud mixed with Turpenoid and flicked on with an old brush.

The chain, I can’t explain what happened there. I used Matte Gel Medium thinned with water to fix the chain. The water activated something in the brass and it leeched. I’m going to have to touch this up with paint and washes. Not thrilled it happened but fixable.

And as soon as these photos were taken, I picked up the Goblin and the ankle sheered right off. This is the fourth time I have had to fix some broken piece of plastic on this kit. I can’t imagine how reliable a real Goblin would be.

 

 

Final Touches

In the home stretch now. Tall grasses are roots from annuals pulled out for the season. They were cut, glued to the base and airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics. The snow is a mixture of Woodland Scenics Snow (which is finely shredded plastic) and Acrylic Gel. The paste was applied with a spatula, smoothed out with an brush dipped in water, and built up in several layers. Through static electricity, the plastic wanted to stick to everything and required several blasts with an air compressor. The muddy snow was achieved by applying oil washes around the border between the snow and mud.